Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thankful

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you?"
~William A. Ward


I don't think I express enough how thankful I am. I know I, like most people, take daily things for granted. The other night I was laying in my small dorm room bed thinking about how HOT I was. They will not turn the air on in our dorms and in some buildings until after Spring Break. It is so miserable. I can't ever sleep. But as I was laying there one particular night I thought to myself, "Riley, stop complaining. There are a lot of people out there who don't even have a bed to lay in. There are a lot of people who don't know what air conditioning is. This heat is normal for some people. There are people who can't ever sleep because they fear for their lives constantly." I got mad at myself for complaining about the lack of air. Also on Monday I had a flat tire on my car. I got irritated about if for a few minutes because I didn't know how to fix it. "Why did my tire have to go flat? I don't have time to deal with this this week, I have 4 tests to study for." That was going through my head. Then I took a minute and stopped thinking negative things. My mom isn't required to provide a vehicle for me, but she does. I am so thankful that she is able to and wants to. There are many people who have to buy there own car at 16 and I respect them, a lot. There are also many people who use walking or public transportation for getting around, I respect them too. A lot of people deal with flat tires and no air conditioning, I can too.

I continued to think about all the things I am lucky enough to have that some people don't. The things I take for granted.

family
air conditioning
clean water
a bed
food
a vehicle
clean clothes
shoes
a toothbrush

I realize for most people these things are normal. However today I was driving through downtown and I stopped at a red light. There was a man in an automatic wheelchair on the sidewalk. He looked a little dirty, thin, like he might not have a home. It broke my heart. My light turned green and I continued to drive thinking about how blessed I am- for the little things and the big.

God has really been opening my eyes lately to lots of things I tend to take for granted. I love where He is leading me in life. I want to live in a way that people look at me and say, "Wow, she is a Godly lady and God's love radiates though her." Some songs that have been playing in my head and on my Ipod are by Sanctus Real. I love that group!! Here's a few lyrics...

Change Me

So would you speak to me and show me what I need. Is it patience, kindness, all that's in between? Loving others the way you love me? So won't you change me from who I've been lately? Cause I know I'm nothing without you And won't you break me from the way I've been lately? Cause I can't see living without you.


Whatever You’re Doing

Whatever You're doing inside of me, It feels like chaos but somehow there's peace. It's hard to surrender to what I can't see but I'm giving in to something Heavenly. Time for a milestone, time to begin again; re-evaluate who I really am. Am I doing everything to follow Your will or just climbing aimlessly over these hills?


Legacy

What will they say when I'm Gone, in words that are written in stone?

Under my name, what will they claim about me? Oh, I want to leave a legacy to be remembered. More than just a memory that fades away because we only, we only get one life. Free me, my hands are tied I'm so tired of wasting time.



“Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.”
-Charles Dickens

"Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live." ~Attributed to Jacqueline Winspear


"Make sure you don't take things for granted and go slack in working for the common good; share what you have with others. God takes particular pleasure in acts of worship - a different kind of "sacrifice" - that take place in kitchen and workplace and on the streets."

Hebrews 13:16

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I think its adorable.

    Please check mine out and if you like it follow me back, id really appreciate the support!

    http://clothesovercarbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riley! Love, another great post. Swing by and check out what happened while I was shopping in Beverly Hills the other day and see Lauren Conrad's unaired promo to the show MTV decided not to pick up.

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    Follow on twitter for updates on the adventures of an LA stylist.

    http://twitter.com/FashBoulevard#

    ReplyDelete