Monday, May 2, 2011

Lighthouse Family Retreat

Hello blog world!! I wanted to share a letter that I have sent friends and family and I am asking for your help too! God has provided me with this special opportunity and I am excited to share it with you!! Please read!!


God has once again provided me with an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people affected with cancer. During my senior year of high school, October 2008, I participated in the Nike Women's Half- Marathon in San Francisco. It is a race to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. As most of you know I lost my dad to cancer 6 years ago, so being able to do this was such an incredible experience for me. I was able to raise over $5,000 and appreciate every single person who contributed. Now, I have been inspired by an incredible opportunity to serve sweet children with cancer and would like to briefly share this opportunity with you.

The Lighthouse Family Retreat is a ministry dedicated to serving children with cancer and their families at a seaside retreat. The Lighthouse provides a place of hope and renewal to families facing fears, challenges and sheer exhaustion that many people won't ever have to face. The retreat helps the families to laugh again, restore relationships, and find hope in God. I am part of a volunteer team and will be serving on one of the 10 Lighthouse retreats this year. All of the retreats are held on the Florida panhandle and we will serve 12-14 families at the retreat.


Each volunteer is asked to send out support letters to let our friends and family know about our upcoming experience. Without your support this retreat is not possible. We are asking for your prayers as we serve and to consider supporting us financially. The volunteers are asked to raise $750. A $250 deposit per person is due immediately in order to guarantee my spot on the retreat. The remainder of the money is Due by July 1st. While there is no cost to the families we serve, it costs the Lighthouse about $2,500 per family to cover the expenses involved to provide retreat activities such as a Luau, beach games, arts & crafts, a night out for the parents, devotions, a talent show and more. If I am able to raise more than the volunteer support required, the additional funding will go directly to help sponsor a family at my retreat.


Please prayerfully consider being a part of this team through your encouragement, prayers and financial support if possible. If God leads you to join us in prayer – please pray that He would prepare the hearts of the families, volunteers, and people in the surrounding community for the work that He is going to do. If you are led to support us financially, any amount that you contribute is greatly appreciated.

I am so so excited to see how God will use our team of volunteers to demonstrate His love in a real way and hope that you will want to join our efforts. This is something that has always tugged my heartstrings and I can't wait to help these families and hopefully be a light in their life. Please feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions about what we, as volunteers, will be doing specifically or about The Lighthouse Family Retreat.


Gratefully In Christ


Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4



If you feel led to contribute financially, comment with your email or let me know and I will be in contact with you on the next step. If you can't contribute financially, prayers for the volunteers and families are gratefully accepted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment